Friday, July 16, 2004

Automated Link Exchange Backlash

Automated Link Exchange Backlash: "On some of my sites, I have two e-mail addresses for link requests - one for automatic software download and one for humans being. The former one will be filtered out even before it reaches my mailbox. "

I encrypt email addresses for every site we manage (70+ sites) - so I do not receive automated link requests :)

I removed/encrypted all published email addresses on all sites a long time ago. It worked for a few months, but now the little devils have scripts that interrogates the domain registry and sends the emails to the admin email address associated with the domain name.

While I agree that a personalised email which is from an on topic site and with a specific mention of my site is not spam, I DO consider the generic "Dear Webmaster" recip requests from a completely off topic site to be borderline.

Google
Creative Commons Licence
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.