Wednesday, July 21, 2004

tables & standards


Mike D. says… jul 18, 2004 | 11:42 pm


This may sound selfish but I really think that a lot of the benefits of designing with standards are benefits for web workers and not necessarily users. This isn't a bad thing, but it's just something to keep in the back of your mind as you ask yourself "which way should I be doing this site"?





I think there is way too much emphasis on this mysterious quality of XHTML which is supposedly to magically transform our world one of these days. I am not a believer in the "one document fits all" theory either. Show me any XHTML site which purports to give the best user experience to sighted people, blind people, wireless users, the mentally disabled, etc using only stylesheets, and I'll show you reasons why modifying the entire user experience (including serving up entirely different documents) is better for the user you happen to be talking about. I think you'll start to hear a lot more about "server-side accessibility" and server-side wireless publishing as people start to realize that there are more differences needed in displaying content than can be provided by stylesheets.

Google
Creative Commons Licence
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.