Saturday, May 08, 2004

Measure & trackCan you count on search engines? 6/May/2004

Search columnist Mike Grehan says the accountability of search marketing is actually far from convincing.

Features: "Last year, in Santa Barbara, I was explaining a little about search engines and what we in the search engine marketing field, have to measure and count and analyse and...

why is it, in our industry, we always seem to be dealing more with possibility than we ever do with probability?

Well, as I've posed my own question - I'll try and answer it with a few of my own passing thoughts.
First, we're almost always dealing with what could be termed as "dodgy data".
And second, we're desperate to be able to give our clients any kind of measure or metric as to what they're getting for their cash.

I mean, you'd think with PPC it would be a fairly safe bet. You spend this much and you make that much. Bingo: return on investment. Or is it?

On a train journey to London, I once sat opposite the financial director of a large UK organisation. What he classed as ROI and what I classed as ROI were not the same thing at all. Believe me. As far as he was concerned marketing is actually an expense and not an asset. So it all depends on who is looking at the figures and what figures they're looking at and how those figures are presented... I think you get my drift."

Google
Creative Commons Licence
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.